Morning Rituals The Preface To Your Day
It is too often we start our mornings in a state of stress. Once you start the day like that, you are in survival mode for the rest of that day. Instead, take steps to take back your mornings and start the day off the way you deserve!
- Water – After sleeping for eight or so hours, your body needs to hydrate. Start your morning off with two cups (16oz) of water. This is good for body and your mind. Our brain is mostly made of water (75%) as such it needs water to operate at full capacity. Other effects of drinking water immediately include kick starting your metabolism and aiding in flushing toxins. These are all imperative functions to helping you operate optimally and thus operating your business optimally.
- Breakfast – Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you are a small business owner chances are you will have a million things come up which will prohibit you from eating lunch. Ensure that you have some food in your system to fuel your busy day.
- Avoid The Screen – Try to not look at a computer screen for the first 20 minutes of waking up. Allow your mind and your eyes to get adjusted and moving before stressing them with work emails or phone calls. Take at least 20 minutes just for you to get re-acquainted with the world around you. We are all busy and are constantly in a state of motion. Take this time, as it may be the only time that you have in a day. The same goes before sleep. Try to avoid looking at emails or a computer 20 minutes before bed as to not overstimulate your pineal gland, which is essential to sleep function. 20 minutes seems like a lot to a small business owner but allow yourself a good night sleep and you will work better for future days.
- Meditate – Another twenty minute routine! Take time in the morning to meditate. Meditating can improve concentration and well-being. Meditating is a great start to the day as it allows you to take time to relax before the beginning of a busy day. This tip, while helpful, is not as essential as hydration, sleep, and sustenance.
- Stretch – Your body has just been cramped in sleep for the whole night. Upon waking up, take a deep breath and stretch. Most people will remain sitting for the majority of the day. Take the time to breathe and stretch when you get up will ensure getting off to right start for the day. You will almost instantly feel better.
Try not to stress yourself with doing all these tips. That would defeat the purpose. These morning tips are supposed to help fight off stress during the day and take what little time you can for minimal stimulation as to properly acquit yourself to the rigorous work day.
Patrick Coughlin is Consultants 2 Go’s Senior Marketing Analyst.